MENU

The development of the port had also enabled the British to take advantage on the profitable trading economic activities of spices, tea and silk between India and China. The bustling trading activities between the two nations had emphasised the Straits of Malacca as a potential and practical rendezvous point due to its strategic location, being at the crossroads of the trading route for the seafaring merchants.
In 1891, with aims to furthermore enhance the effectiveness of this new seaport, a 39-km railway track had been proposed to link Tanjung and Sungai Ujong (now known as Seremban). A plan was drafted out to allow various goods such as spices, rice, and tapioca brought by the trade ships to be transported from the port to Sungai Ujong by train. Tugu Sir Federic Dickson
Furthermore, it has been ascertained that the railway lines and seaport has played a vital role in expanding the export trading of tin from the mines in Sungai Ujong. To facilitate the construction of these railway lines, the British had brought in labour all the way from India. With determined efforts, the railway was successfully completed and launched by the Secretary of the Federated States, Sir John Frederick Dickson. In conjunction with the official opening of the railway line, the British had formally changed the name of Tanjung to Port Dickson. From then onwards, the name has become renowned not just locally but also internationally.
Since the start of its operation as a deep seaport, Port Dickson has achieved outstanding successes. In 1893 alone, about 600 ships from Singapore and Port Klang were docked at Port Dickson for the unloading of goods which were then transported to Sungai Ujong by train. Due to the rapid development, the bustling port activities as well as the increase in transportation of goods from inside and outside of Port Dickson, a Customs and Immigration inspection centre was established in 1894. Kawasan Perlombongan
The success of this port has also paved its way to several development changes to its city centre. Wooden shop houses were demolished and replaced with brick masonry shop buildings. About 45 brick shop buildings have been built while applications have also been received for idle land along the coastline